My ISOTRETINOIN JOURNEY (ACNOTIN/ACCUTANE) 1 MONTH SKIN UPDATE

My skin was NEVER FLAWLESS. At times, it may look like I have a flawless skin through my photos and videos but I thank the power of make up, camera and good lighting. I have an acne prone skin, oily and sensitive type that started when I was a teenager (3rd year high school to be exact) and the pimples never stop. These pimples leaves red marks and blemishes but those are not my priority since I badly want to "cure" my pimples instead. Over the years, I tried A LOT of different anti-acne products, went to different dermatologist and it did helped somehow. Though once my skin got immune to these products (give it 3-4 years) then that's when the pimple breakouts will start again. Then I begin to look again for products that will help prevent my pimples. During this trial period of trying different products, I'm risking my skin thus making it worst leading to more breakouts. 
 

My skin was better for years already but last July-August 2018, my skin was triggered by a Korean skincare product. It all started there and the monthly pimple breakouts never stopped. I tried going back to my old routine, even trimmed down the products that I used but still the same, much worst every month. The last breakout I had was during the last few weeks of November 2018. I had 3-4 cystic acne breakouts near my cheeks and I know I had to consult to a dermatologist. 

I'll be 30 in a month and I still experienced pimple breakouts. I told my dermatologist that I already tried everything since teenager and so she gave me me 5 days of antibiotics, Epiduo and Clinda 1% then I came back after a week. 
 
During the 2nd visit with her, she gave me Acnotin pills (Isotretinoin) 1box to use for a month. Since she said that I only have MILD ACNE (cystic ones), the dose she gave me was only 10mg/1 tab a day which is the lowest dosage. She explained to me the side effects and strictly said that I CAN NEVER BE PREGNANT during my course. Though, before deciding to take this, I already read about Isotretinoin and it's effects plus I also joined a Accutane/Acnotin/Isotretinoin group on Facebook to see the opinions and reviews of those who already tried this one. I also read that ISOTRETINOIN is under ONE OF THE MOST DANGEROUS DRUGS but MOST EFFECTIVE ones. It can be harmful for the liver and the heart. So you really have to research and read before deciding to take this drug.
 

I decided to take Acnotin/Isotretinoin because I'm almost on my 30 but still experience this kind of cystic breakouts. I've tried everything to treat and prevent these breakouts but it's just getting worst. And I have an EXTREMELY OILY SKIN!!! My skin started to oil up especially on my t-zone an hour after washing skin. At 4-6 hours, it is already extremely oily that I NEED TO BLOT up! And whenever I wake up after 8-12 hours of sleep, I tell you.. my face is really super duper oily that my priority when I wake up is to immediately wash my face. Having an extremely oily skin is a HUGE FACTOR in getting these cystic pimple breakouts. 

So I'm done taking 1 box of Acnotin and my skin is BETTER compared to the previous month. Though as I always say, I experienced monthly breakouts before I get my period then my skin becomes better for about 1-2 weeks. Then when it's nearing my period, I'll get cystic breakouts again. Though last December, I only experienced 2 cystic pimples in 2 different weeks/days. Not bad compared to the last week of November. As of writing, my those cystic pimples already dried up and my skin is now okay. 

Here's my skin from July 2018 to present: 

 
 
(1st week of January 2019)
 
(Current skin as of January 9, 2019)
 

Here's a little timeline of what I experienced during the 1st month of taking Acnotin:

Day 5 - I started to experienced headache which is a bit unusual for me. I opted not to use any pain killers just because I don't want to take any other medicines while taking the Acnotin. What I did was to take more water in a day that helped to minimize these side effects. I also think that maybe my body was adjusting to this drug thus experiencing the headache. 

Day 9 - I had muscle and back pain. That's also the time when I had a flu and cough so I'm not quite sure if it's from the Acnotin. It goes away eventually.

Day 11 - I had a small pimple on my nose area that easily dried up in about 2-3 days.

Day 12 - That's when I started to notice that on the 12th hour of using the same makeup, my skin looks a little dewy and not too oily. 

Day 14 - which was near the Christmas Day is when I had a huge cystic pimple on my cheeks again. I popped this zit and good thing it dries up in about 2-3 days. 

Day 20 - I had another cystic pimple near the one that dried up. A little worst since it took me 2 weeks just to dry up that zit. I used the pimple patch for 4-5 days. 

Day 21-30 - The time I started to notice that my skin is less oily. When I wake up from a 8-12 hours of sleep, I noticed that there are not much oil on my face. I spend more time looking at the mirror and super FASCINATED but this skin. Before at work, I always wash and put on my makeup again after 10-12 hours of shift just because my face really looks oily and bad during this hours. Before I can consume 3-4 blotting paper in an 8 hour makeup. Now, I can go on with my 16hr shift with just a little retouch and using only 1 blotting paper! My skin is now NORMAL TO DRY. I also noticed that my nose area is rough making the black and white heads also dry since I don't produce that much oil now. I think I need a little cleaning on this area. My pores are also starting to become smaller. 

What I like about this is that I don't experience any dryness at all except for my face. Not sure of the dry lips which is the common side effects since I've been using Petroleum Jelly (everyday) for my lips even before. No dry eyes, no muscle pain, no unnecessary hair fall, no rashes.

 
(Hello bare face! No pimples on this photo but I have a lot of red marks/blemishes.
Road to clear skin for 2019!)

Really happy to see the effects in as early as 1 month of taking this drug. I'm still observing my skin and hoping I won't get cystic breakouts again. Will UPDATE you guys after 1 month (on February) so if you have any questions about Acnotin or Isotretinoin, please feel free to leave your comments below. I'll be including those on my next update.

2 comments

  1. Hi Ms. Nicole! Wishing you are well. Thank you for sharing your experience po. Question lang po sana. Yung Acnotin ba is parang soft gel capsule na half purple half white?

    I am going through the same ordeal with acne and niresetahan po ako ng derma ko ng anti acne capsule.

    Nakalagay lang sa reseta is literal na “anti acne capsule” and may sarili syang stocks/pharmacy kaya sa kanya ako napilitan kumuha. I was taken aback when the 30 capsules for one month use amounted to P4,200, na bukod pa sa topical treatments.

    I thought na baka mass produced din naman yung anti acne capsule nya na nireseta and I saw one picture na same itsura na purple/white softgel labeled as Acnotin. I’m just trying to ask around kasi baka most likely iyan din po yun.

    Would greatly appreciate to hear from you po. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes soft gel capsule po sya pero ung kulay alam ko po dpende sa dosage.

      Ilan mg po ba ung nireseta sa inyo? sakin po kasi 10mg/box so nasa 2500 po ata un. Syempre mas mahal po ung 20mg or 40 mg na capsule. If 10mg/box tas 4200 mahal po un masyado.

      You can ask what brand name is used? saka dapat naka pack po ng maayos like ung nakalagay sa banig/foil. If unsure, better ask for a reseta nalang then buy ka sa drugstore. Although sabi ng derma, mas mahal daw sa drugstore. You can canvass na lang din :)

      Delete